Foreign Language Placement Exam Dates for the 2017 - 2018 Year
- Friday, August 25, 2017, in the Roon Lecture Hall @ 3:30pm
- Monday, August 28, 2017, in 114 Seidlin Hall @ 7:00pm
- Wednesday, November 1, 2017, in 114 Seidlin Hall @ 7:00pm
- Tuesday, January 16, 2018, in 112 Perlman Hall @ 6:00pm
- Thursday, March 29, 2018, in 112 Perlman Hall @ 7:00pm
Exams are given in French, German and Spanish.
Who needs to take the Placement Exam?
- Students who have taken more than two years of a language in high school and who intend to take the same language at AU must take the exam.
- Students who are bilingual or native speakers of the language they wish to take or who have spoken the language at home.
- Students do not need to take the exam if they did not study a language previously or if they are planning to take a different language in college.
Results will be posted for the Advisors only on Banner under Test Scores. Students can not access their own scores.
Procedure to demonstrate Proficiency in a language other than French, German and Spanish:
- Register with FLATS, Foreign Language Achievement Testing Service, through Brigham Young University
- Pay the Fee
- Schedule your exam with the Division of Modern Languages Chair who will serve as Proctor
Once you have obtained test scores from Banner, please use the following guidelines for registration:
- 0 - 40% Student should register for 101
- 41 - 60% Student should register for 102
- 61 - 100% Student has completed the foreign language requirement.
- Students who have completed the foreign language requirement are encouraged to continue their foreign language studies. Please contact any faculty member or the office of Modern Languages for guidance choosing which level would be most appropriate.
- Please Note: To be considered for membership in Phi Beta Kappa students must have, among other qualifications, demonstrated intermediate proficiency in a foreign language through 200-level coursework or scoring 80% on the language placement exam.