First Prize: $4,000 in scholarship funding!
All high school seniors and juniors are encouraged to participate in the competition for this scholarship. The first-place winner will be awarded a scholarship of $1,000 for each of the four years at Alfred University provided he or she enters the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences and maintains a minimum of 3.0 index each year. While only one scholarship is awarded every year, first, second, and third-place entrants will receive prizes intended to help them begin their college careers. In addition to the scholarship, the first-place winner receives a $50 Barnes & Noble gift card, and the second and third-place winners receive $25 gift cards. These prizes will be awarded regardless of whether or not the winning students decide to enter Alfred University.
These awards, given in honor of a former member of the Alfred University English faculty, not only recognize promising young writers, but also help stimulate interest in writing among all students.
The procedure for the competition is as follows:
- Manuscripts must be submitted in both of the following categories:
- Creative writing: 4 poems or a short story or a play, or a mixture of these genres.
- Expository writing: a critical essay or a personal essay.
- Partial or incomplete manuscripts (missing 1a or 1b above) will be disqualified.
- Manuscripts should not exceed 12 pages.
- Entries must be typed and double-spaced.
- The portfolio must include a statement from the student's English teacher certifying the originality of the work.
- Entries can be submitted via USPS or email (with a scan of the certification of originality). The portfolio must be postmarked or emailed by February 28, 2017, and should be sent to:
1 Saxon Drive
Alfred, New York 14802
or Email Your Submission
- Your name, address, home phone, high school name, guidance counselor, address, and phone number must be included on your entry (you can use this Cover Sheet)
- The English faculty will judge all entries.
- All winners will be notified by March 31, 2017.
The purpose of this competition is to discover ability and to encourage excellence. Alfred University, therefore, reserves the right not to make an award in any given year.
Questions? Call the Alfred University Division of English at (607) 871-2256